MariaDB 10.1.1 was recently released, and is available for download here:
This is the second alpha release of MariaDB 10.1, so there are a lot of new changes and functionalities added, and many, many bugs fixed (I counted 637). Since it’s alpha, I’ll only cover the major changes and additions, as there are a lot of great new features, and omit covering any of the bug fixes (feel free to browse them all here).
To me, these are the highlights of the new features:
- InnoDB: You can now use OPTIMIZE TABLE to defragment InnoDB tablespaces (merged the Facebook/Kakao defragmentation patch). (Good blog post here.)
- Default roles allow roles to be enabled automatically when a user connects.
- Triggers can now be run on the slave for row-based events.
- Galera is merged into MariaDB server, MariaDB 10.1.1 binaries automatically support Galera out of the box.
- Statements that exceed a certain execution time can now be aborted.
- InnoDB: report progress of inplace alter table (Kakao patch). (Good blog post here.)
- Compound statements can be used outside of stored programs.
And here are other new features of note:
- Performance Schema tables no longer use .frm files.
- PREPARE statement now supports out parameters.
- The engine_condition_pushdown optimizer_switch flag has been deprecated. Engine condition pushdown is now always enabled for all engines that support it.
- New Information Schema table SYSTEM_VARIABLES shows for every system variable its session and global variable values as well as various metadata.
- Information Schema plugins can now support SHOW and FLUSH statements. New statements in this release:
- Two new columns added to the CLIENT_STATISTICS and USER_STATISTICS Information Schema tables (TOTAL_SSL_CONNECTIONS and MAX_STATEMENT_TIME_EXCEEDED).
- @@sql_log_slow is now a session variable, not global. <-- Good for troubleshooting w/ minimal performance impact
- MariaDB can execute UNION ALL without a temporary table. (MySQL 5.7 patch)
You can read more about the 10.1.1 release here:
And if interested, you can review the full list of changes in 10.1.1 (changelogs) here:
Hope this helps.