MariaDB 10.1.2 was recently released, and is available for download here:
This is the third alpha release of MariaDB 10.1, so there are still a lot of new changes, functionalities added, defaults changed, and many bugs fixed (I counted 117, which is *way* down from the 637 fixed in 10.1.1). Since it’s alpha, I’ll only cover the major changes and additions, and omit covering general bug fixes (feel free to browse them all here).
To me, these are the highlights of the new features:
- –mysql56-temporal-format option to use the MySQL-5.6 low level formats to store TIME, DATETIME and TIMESTAMP types. (MDEV-5528)
- Support for Spatial Reference systems for the GIS data (MDEV-60), new REF_SYSTEM_ID column attribute can be used to specify Spatial Reference System ID for columns of spatial data types:
create table t1(g GEOMETRY(9,4) REF_SYSTEM_ID=101);
It can be queried via the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.GEOMETRY_COLUMNS table.
- More functions from the OGC standard added (MDEV-4045):
- Per-query variables – see SET STATEMENT (MDEV-5231)
- EXPLAIN FORMAT=JSON (MDEV-6109)
- Scalability fixes (MDEV-7004). Up to 60% higher throughput in sysbench benchmarks on Power8.
- Password validation plugin API (MDEV-6431).
- simple_password_check password validation plugin. It can enforce a minimum password length and guarantee that a password contains at least a specified number of uppercase and lowercase letters, digits, and punctuation characters.
- cracklib_password_check password validation plugin. It only allows passwords that are strong enough to pass CrackLib test. This is the same test that pam_cracklib.so does, installed by default on many Linux distributions.
- The number of rows affected by a slow UPDATE or DELETE is now recorded in the slow query log – see also mysql.slow_log Table. (MDEV-4412)
- GET_LOCK() now supports microseconds in the timeout, no longer rounding fractions to the nearest integer (MDEV-4018)
- domain_id based replication filters – see CHANGE MASTER TO (MDEV-6593)
- Two new Information Schema tables for examining wsrep information, WSREP_MEMBERSHIP and WSREP_STATUS (MDEV-7053)
- innodb_log_compressed_pages is now set to OFF by default.
- Two new status variables, Innodb_secondary_index_triggered_cluster_reads and Innodb_secondary_index_triggered_cluster_reads_avoided to track the effectiveness of the Facebook Prefix Index Queries Optimization (MDEV-6929)
- Default size of query_alloc_block_size changed from 8192 to 16384 and query_prealloc_size from 8192 to 24576 to avoid the need for simple queries with one join to call my_malloc.
- Other Webscale patches (MDEV-6039) <-- nice detailed list here, but too many to list in this post
- Out parameters in PREPARE were removed, as it was decided to rather implement the feature in a standard way.
You can read more about the 10.1.2 release here:
And if interested, you can review the full list of changes in 10.1.2 (changelogs) here:
Hope this helps.